MAKING A REQUEST: RETURNING LOST PROPERTY
(đưa ra một yêu cầu: trả lại tài sản bị mất)
You recently stayed in a small hotel, where the service was excellent and Mr Wilson, the manager, made sure your stay was very enjoyable. Unfortunately, you left your glasses behind in the hotel. Write an email to the manager (150-190 words), ask him to send your glasses back to you. Offer to pay for any expenses.
I. Answer the questions
1.Why are you writing the email?
To ask and offer to pay for something
(để yêu cầu và đề nghị trả tiền cho một thứ gì đó.)
2. Who is going to read the email?
Mr Wilson, the manager of the hotel
(Ngài Wilson, quản lý của khách sạn)
3. What is the relationship between you and the manager?
Someone you have met but don’t know well
(Một người bạn đã gặp nhưng không biết rõ)
4. What type of writing should you use?
Fairly formal and polite
(khá trang trọng và lịch thiệp)
5. What greeting and ending are suitable for the email?
Dear Mr Wilson,
Your full name
(using yours faithfully when the greeting is Dear Sir or Madam, who we don’t know and have never met)
(dùng Yours faithfully khi lời chào là Dear Sir/ Madam, những người mà chúng ta không biết và chưa bao giờ gặp)
II. Brainstorm the topic
1.Where was the hotel?
in the mountain, by the sea,…
2. Why was the good service? What did the manager do to make your stay enjoyable?
The staff were polite, and pleasant at all times. He gave good pieces of advice on our holiday.
3. Where might you have left your glasses?
On the bar, in the restaurant, in the room you stayed in,…
4. What do your glasses look like?
They are big and back with shiny frames.
5. How could the hotel send them to you?
By registered mail, express mail, …
6. Who should pay the expenses of sending the glasses to you?
You should pay, or ask your relative to pay it for you.
7. What else should you say in the email?
Say thanks to the manager, and suggest contacting if there are any problems.
III. A model email
Dear Mr Wilson,
I am writing to thank you very much for making my stay so enjoyable. I really appreciated your advice on sightseeing and having fresh fruit in my room every day.
I wonder if I could also ask you a favour. I realised when I got home that I had left my glasses behind. They have gold frames, and are in the dark red plastic case, which had my name and address written on the inside. I think I must have left them in the restaurant during breakfast on the day I left.
If you manage to find my glasses, could you please post them to me, by registered mail to my home address? Of course, I will pay for the postage. Would it be possible for you to let me know how much this is? I will send you a check as soon as I hear from you. I would be very grateful if you could do this for me.
Please contact me if you have any problems with this matter, and once again, I would like to thank you for all your help.
There are 4 paragraphs in the letter
- Paragraph 1 = introduction: advice, fruit
- Paragraph 2 = ask a favour: description of the glasses, where they were left.
- Paragraph 3 = request to post: registered mail, how to pay the postage
- Paragraph 4 = conclusion: contacting if problems, thanks
IV. Vocabulary and language
1. Rewrite the following sentences to say thanks to the person, using a noun instead of the adjective
a. You were very kind to help me with my problems. (kindness)
Thank you for your kindness in helping me with my problems.
b. You were very generous to spend so much time with me. (generosity)
c. You were very hospitable during my stay in your hotel. (hospitality)
d. You were very patient with my terrible English. (patience)
e. You were very efficient to send me the brochure so quickly. (efficiency)
f. You were very co-operative when I had to change my hotel booking. (co-operation)
g. You were very sympathetic when I received the bad news. (sympathy)
2. Rewrite the following requests in a more polite, formal way, using would/could
a. Please arrange for a taxi to meet me at the airport.
Could you please arrange for a taxi to meet me at the airport?
Would it possible for you to arrange for a taxi to meet me at the airport?
I would be very grateful if you could arrange for a taxi to meet me at the airport.
b. Can you give a lift to the station?
c. Please tell me how much it will cost.
d. Can you look for my coat?
e. Can you send me information about your school?
You recently travelled by plane from a business trip. The service on the plane was very good and the cabin staff very helpful. When you got home, you realised that you had left your interesting book you love reading so much on the plane. Write an email (150-190 words) to the airline company to ask them to return your book to you.
The outline of the letter
- Paragraph 1 = introduction : thanks
- Paragraph 2 = describing the problem and the book
- Paragraph 3 = asking for help, and offering to pay for any expenses
- Paragraph 4 = conclusion
Các bạn có thể truy cập website trung tâm gia sư vina để tìm hoặc đăng ký làm gia sư, cũng như xem các bài học và download tài liệu